My Lights

Links

About

Using the LED controller boards that I designed, I am in the process of building different lights for my room. For the moment, I just have two, but I'll be building more in the future. Following is a description of how I converted some lights I bought at the hardware store.

Wall Sconces

I bought a set of wall sconces from Lowe's with the intention of converting them for my lights. I didn't have much time left in the summer, so I decided to grab some commercial lights and then modify them to fit my controller. They weren't cheap ($40 each), but they had a lot of potential. Essentially, I planned to put 3 LEDs vertically on the light so that I could blend 3 different colors along the glass.

pics/wallsc-22.jpg

Converting them was really easy. Here's what I did.

Installing the Board

The first step was to find a good spot for the board. After removing the original lightbulb assembly, I found that it fit perfectly in the main chassis.

pics/wallsc-1.jpg

After fitting it, I drilled some holes and tested it out.

pics/wallsc-2.jpg
Holes matching board

pics/wallsc-3.jpg
Testing the fit

Then, I used 16 gauge stranded wire and wired up all of the board outputs to the LEDs so that the wires would wrap around an LED mount I was designing. After soldering all of them up, I installed the board using nylon spacers as standoffs.

pics/wallsc-9.jpg
Starting to solder all 12 wires (4 LED+, then 4 each for green, red, and blue)

pics/wallsc-10.jpg
Installed board

Mounting the LEDs

I wanted to use 3 LEDs to get as much coverage of the light as possible. Furthermore, I wanted to angle the outer LEDs outward. My dad suggested mounting the LEDs on a piece of formed sheet metal and helped me cut out some patterns and bend them.

pics/wallsc-4.jpg

pics/wallsc-5.jpg

pics/wallsc-6.jpg

pics/wallsc-7.jpg

pics/wallsc-8.jpg
Rear bracket is bent so that LEDs angle outward

pics/wallsc-11.jpg
Testing the fit over the board

Then, I screwed the LEDs onto the bracket and mounted it into the light.

pics/wallsc-12.jpg

pics/wallsc-13.jpg

pics/wallsc-14.jpg

ALL OF THE SOLDERING!!! (this was tricky to do while trying to avoid shorts, which would be rather bad)

pics/wallsc-15.jpg

pics/wallsc-16.jpg

The results

Just... so beautiful :)

pics/wallsc-18.jpg

pics/wallsc-19.jpg

pics/wallsc-20.jpg

pics/wallsc-21.jpg

pics/wallsc-22.jpg

pics/wallsc-23.jpg

pics/wallsc-24.jpg

pics/wallsc-25.jpg

IKEA FADO Orb

I modified a light from IKEA. While it has 3 LEDs in it, they're all designed to be run at the same setting.

pics/fado-9.jpg

I documented the modification progress on my blog.

Derptrix

Derptrix is a high-power LED matrix that I built in the matter of a few hours and hooked up to my controller boards.

pics/hkn-10.jpg

See my blog for more detail on this hilarious project.